Our Way to SustainabilityOur Views on Sustainability and Organization
- Our Views on Sustainability and Organization
- Materiality for Marubeni Group
- Engagement with Stakeholders
- ESG Risk Research/Analysis
- Participation in International Initiatives
Our Views on Sustainability
- Fairness: Act with fairness and integrity at all times.
- Innovation: Pursue creativity with enterprise and initiative.
- Harmony: Give and earn the respect of others through cooperation.
In accordance with the spirit of the Company Creed of “Fairness , Innovation , and Harmony ,” the Marubeni Group is proudly committed to social and economic development and safeguarding the global environment by conducting fair and upright corporate activities.
Our Management Philosophy clearly expresses our views on sustainability. To us, sustainability means proactively engaging in environmental and social issues and challenges, delivering solutions through innovation, and living by the Management Philosophy.
Corporate value is composed of financial and non-financial value; non-financial value in particular is steadily growing in importance. With regard to sustainability, such issues as climate change, the depletion of forestry resources and human rights issues pose grave threats to social and environmental sustainability. Adopting and implementing clear medium- and long-term corporate policies regarding these issues is directly related to increasing non-financial value and corporate value.
Until now, to increase corporate value, each of our businesses has generally created its own innovative business model in anticipation of the challenges facing society.
From now on, however, we will further fortify our traditionally strong businesses (vertical evolution) and also leverage internal and external expertise in order to generate better results than would otherwise be possible (horizontal expansion). This is the concept of our Global crossvalue platform; it will provide solutions for social and environmental problems and guide us in working toward a better tomorrow by providing a framework for promoting social and economic development and conserving the global environment.
As part of its organization to promote sustainability initiatives, the Marubeni Group has a Sustainability Management Committee under the supervision of the President. The Committee discusses policies and measures concerning our sustainability initiatives and ESG risk management and reports to the Board of Directors at least once a year. To incorporate the views of external parties, the Committee also includes External Directors and External Audit & Supervisory Board Members in an advisory role. A director heads the Sustainability Management Committee, and the Board of Directors, by receiving periodic reports on important issues pertaining to the sustainability initiatives discussed by the Committee, oversees sustainability-related issues evaluated from the viewpoints of the appropriateness of our ESG risk management and compatibility with society.
Starting April 1, 2019, we take the following steps to enhance our sustainability management organization:
- A Chief Sustainable Development Officer serves as the head of the Sustainability Management Committee.
- A Sustainability Management Department is newly established within the Corporate Staff (CS) Group to coordinate sustainability management among the Business Division, the CS Group, and our branches, offices and local subsidiaries.
- A Sustainability Leader in charge of sustainability management is appointed in each business division, each department within the CS Group, and at each branch, office and overseas corporate subsidiary. A Sustainability Manager is also appointed in each business department.